Craft Fairs – all you need to know
If you're thinking about starting a craft business, there are many things to consider.
The first step is making the decision that will guide your future decisions:
Should I sell online?
Open my own store??
What kind of products do customers want or need??
Taking these simple steps can help ensure success when starting out as an individual crafter with limited resources at hand--so don't be afraid!
Here are some steps to getting started with craft fairs, and why you should go.
Why go to craft fairs in Wales?
If you don’t have a physical location to sell products, and your online store has a small presence, craft fairs present plenty of opportunities to take advantage of.
- Customer Loyalty - Craft fairs are a great way to meet potential customers and get their attention for your brand. You can sell them on what you offer by telling the story of how it was made, or where in time this product might be considered old-fashioned (like using paper).
- Easy PR and marketing - Today, it's all about social media and sharing your life on the internet. But don't forget to get talking too! You might bump into someone who could help boost your brand presence - like an organiser for one of these events or even someone from journalism (they're always looking at new talent).
- Meet with fellow crafters - Sometimes it's hard to see other crafters as competition. They can be a great resource for insight and new opportunities in this world of crafting! You might find yourself partnering with someone or going on some un-marketed trips that will teach you all about them too - maybe even give your business an edge over others?
- Learn from the pros - There’s no better group of people to help than the few who have already dealt with those problems. If you ever find yourself feeling lost or alone, don't hesitate- reach out!
- You’ll be exhibiting to a target audience - Your target audience (potential customers!) will flow in and out of the event/fair/show you’re at all day.
Three steps to getting started with craft fairs
Choose the right craft fair event - With so many markets and events out there, it can be hard to choose which one is right for your business. Start by considering who you want as customers- this may help filter down the potential list based on whether they're likely attend a particular market or not!
When deciding which fair or market to exhibit at, it is important that you find out all of the costs involved. This way there will not be any surprises when your display opens for business!
Set your goals - The best way to set up your exhibit is by knowing what you want and need to class it as a success. A break-even point will be the starting balance!
- Plan what to buy for your stand - Think about the kind of stand you want to have. Are there different types? What size is required for my goals and objectives in this event, or do these vary by type (i e., if I'm a hobbyist)?
You can learn so much from going to craft fairs. You'll get a better understanding of what your customers need and how you might be able to serve them, as well find new product niches that are currently unoccupied in the market!
Whether you are selling your products through an online markeplace like Made in Cymru or just spending your weekend exhibiting at different craft fairs, make sure you know what you want to get out of it.
Check out our directory of craft fairs in Wales to decide where to exhibit next